Here’s nine of the thirty slides I came up with for a poster-making workshop I was hired to give at the very last minute. Not very professional of the org, but I was bored enough to agree and hey, I got a free shirt!
Some basic rules of poster-making. I was actually expected to teach step-by-step Photoshop basics, but from experience, I know that two hours is insufficient to retain anything gleaned from watching somebody do their own version of a tedious process. There are many ways to get the same result on Photoshop, so rather than teaching the attendees technical work, I opted to teach them design basics.
I also taught the attendees “In der Beschränkung…” which has sort of transformed into my mantra. It’s generally regarded to mean “less is more” but what it really means is that masterful work reveals itself when perfection is attained within limits.
Ideally this means that perfection is when all elements in place are vital in such a way as to take out one element would be to destroy the balance of things.
Sometimes, however, I take “Beschränkung” to mean less of an effort. As in, do the best job you can possibly do with as little effort as you can manage.
Not a very good philosophy to live by, but I can manage.
My spirit animal.
I like to think this family didn’t even know this man. Like they came home and found him dancing in their living room.
A dramatic reading of some girl on facebook
God bless Angeliki.
A lot of people seem to like the triangle map bunting I made for my new time lapse video of putting up the wall collage, so I thought I’d put together a quick tutorial, since it’s so easy to make. You can see more photos of the wall collage in this blog post, and please send me photos of your own if you decide to make it!
Triangle pattern (or make your own with different dimensions)
Xacto knife and cutting board OR pencil and scissors
1. Download the triangle pattern and print it out (preferably onto cardstock so it’s easier to trace). Or, create your own pattern by drawing a triangle of any dimensions you want and drawing the same kind of borders around the sides. Cut it out.
2. Place the pattern on the map and cut around it with an xacto knife. Or if you prefer scissors, trace the pattern onto the map with a pencil and cut it out.
3. Fold down the edges so you have a triangle shape with nice sharp corners.
4. Tape down the folds (I used white tape here so you could see where I put it, but transparent scotch tape works just as well). Make as many of these as you want in your banner (the one I made for the video had 9 triangles).
6. Tape the string to the back of the triangles, placing them about 2 or 3 inches apart.
7. Tack it to your wall or hang it off the edge of a table, or do whatever you want. It’s so easy that you can get really creative with that you decide to do with it. Good luck!
HOW TO: cook ramen
this is how im going to eat in college
Oh lord I wish I knew this shit in college
my preferred method is breaking an egg into the boiling water just as you add the noodles
it’s like ramen + a three-minute egg and it’s fucking delicious